Poem & Analysis of "Once Upon A Time" by Gabriel Okara



POEM

Once Upon A Time
Gabriel Imomotimi Okara (born 24 April 1921)

Once upon a time, son,
they used to laugh with their hearts
and laugh with their eyes:
but now they only laugh with their teeth,
while their ice-block-cold eyes
search behind my shadow.

There was a time indeed
they used to shake hands with their hearts:
but that’s gone, son.
Now they shake hands without hearts
while their left hands search
my empty pockets.

‘Feel at home!’ ‘Come again’:
they say, and when I come
again and feel
at home, once, twice,
there will be no thrice-
for then I find doors shut on me.

So I have learned many things, son.
I have learned to wear many faces
like dresses – homeface,
officeface, streetface, hostface,
cocktailface, with all their conforming smiles
like a fixed portrait smile.

And I have learned too
to laugh with only my teeth
and shake hands without my heart.
I have also learned to say,’Goodbye’,
when I mean ‘Good-riddance’:
to say ‘Glad to meet you’,
without being glad; and to say ‘It’s been
nice talking to you’, after being bored.

But believe me, son.
I want to be what I used to be
when I was like you. I want
to unlearn all these muting things.
Most of all, I want to relearn
how to laugh, for my laugh in the mirror
shows only my teeth like a snake’s bare fangs!

So show me, son,
how to laugh; show me how
I used to laugh and smile
once upon a time when I was like you.


ANALYSIS

Yearning for Innocence and Faithfulness in Gabriel Okara’s Once Upon a Time

   The poem ONCE UPON A TIME is written by Gabriel Okara, a Nigerian poet.  It is written in the backdrop of Nigeria’s independence from Britain. The poet seems to be shocked by the change of lifestyle, values, morals and the total change in the world view in the ‘new, independent country’. He seems to be mourning for the passing away of a way of life.  Though the country is politically independent, it seems to be still influenced by the British culture. The poet remembers the way people used to behave and interact with each other. How the people used to do things with their hearts and soul.

   The poem describes what happens when a traditional African culture and civilization meets with the western culture. With his nostalgic vision, the poet recalls the golden times of the past.  The purpose of the poem is to outline the behaviour and personality of the people at the moment. It also makes an attempt to bring back the personality of the people who used to do things with emotion and heart.

   The poem is a conversation between a father and his son.The son does things with emotions and father wants to forget his fake personality and re-learn and recreate his personality by following the values of the past. He asks his son to express true love and to have real concern for others.

   Gabriel Okara’s ONCE UPON A TIME is about the artificial relationship and manners prevailing in the present world. According to the poet,past is better than present.Because there was love, sincerity and faithfulness in the past. Now in the present, everything has changed. Hence the poet wants to relive the past.

   Once upon a time, the people used to laugh with their hearts and eyes. That is, there was genuiness in what they said and did. But in the present, there is only outward ‘teeth laugh without understanding the speaker’s real self’. The eyes are described as ‘ice block cold’. The people have become money minded and they develop their relationships only with the rich. Even when shaking hands with others they are very artificial and mechanical.

   Guests are no longer welcome these days. They are given a warm reception only once. If they visit their friends or relatives thrice or more number of days, the doors are shut on them.

   In this materialistic and artificial world, the poet has learnt many things especially wearing many faces like putting on many dress, one has to have ‘home face’, ‘office face’, ‘cocktail face’ and so on. All are fixed just like the portrait smile. As this is the way of the world, the poet/speaker has also learnt laughter with teeth; the art of saying ‘good bye’ when he means ‘good riddance’, ‘Glad to meet you’ when he is not glad; and ‘nice talking to you’ when bored..!!

   The poet wants to his son to imbibe the exemplary values of the past. Towards the end of the poem the poet appeals to his son to show him how to smile whole heartedly. He desire to revisit the past is nothing but a yearning for the innocence, faithfulness and sincerity.


Pooja T.U
3rd Yr. B.A. (HEE)
Sahyadri Arts College
Shivamogga

Comments

  1. Thank you Pooja Akka this is really helpful to me to understand the concept of poem 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanku pujja this is really helpful for me because there is every thing is cleared and making easy for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. It is very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. plzzzzzzzzz help me in question of why was the wish of father not practical in once upon a time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the present day people are corrected by false hood

      Delete
    2. People have become utterly selfish in the pretext of being modern. Thus selfishness has taken a toll of the old values. It's not easy to revive them as old values are likely to die with old people unless they educate the younger generation as this poem does. Hope you find this helpful

      Delete
  5. Great poem madam. Especially "good riddance" is a wonderful usage by a poet.

    Keep.doing works like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. കവിതയായാൽ ഇങ്ങനെ വേണം 👍🙀

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks di...it helped me very much...❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really well done...This helped me much on my lessons...keep it up.GOOD JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ur analysis about poem is very good! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somebody help me to get all the poetic devices in this poem

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good analysis. Keep doing this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg!!this is the best explaination i have gone through!! Thank you🤗

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Pooja Sis I under stand the concept of poem

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks a lot for explain with amazing way

    ReplyDelete
  15. What are the uncomfortable situations the father went through

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow i really understand the true meaning of the school

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank u di for this easy explanation 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  18. the poem once upon a time by gabriel okara directly deals with a social problem he accuses that modern society is corrupted.explain giving examples from the poem pls help me in this pooja akka

    ReplyDelete
  19. It helped me a lot to understand the masterpiece

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tysm ma'am!so obligated for more upcomings like this--much love<3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Help me, what is the moral lesson of this?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you pooja mam..🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  23. Who do you think is the son mentioned in the poem?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can son bring hope in Nigeria ?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tq sister. I'm for Sahyadri science college, Shivamogga.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks a lot dear Pooja...you learnt it in 3rd year but I'm learning this in 2nd year....very wonderful 👍 analysis....I wrote down these points for my assignment......thank you so much 💗 💓

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poem & Analysis of 'Australia' by A.D Hope

Poem & Analysis of 'Poem' by Pablo Neruda